Maurice Sendak…RIP

Maurice Sendak’s book Where the Wild Things Are has been one of the favourite childhood stories read by so many children around the world. Β It is sad to lose such a wonderful author. Β We can keep his story alive by reading it often and sharing it with others…

What is your favourite part of Β Where the Wild Things Are?

15 thoughts on “Maurice Sendak…RIP

1. Dear Miss Y,

It was very sad to hear that Maurice Sendak died.
    Our favorite part is when the boy meets the beasts & made him king of the beasts. We hope he is happy in heaven. Love From

*Emma* & *Erin*.

2. Dear Emma and Erin

Thank you for your comment.

I think there will be lots of people happy in heaven listening to Maurice Sendak telling them stories.

Thank you for sharing your favourite part of “Where the Wild Things Are”. I love the Wild Rumpus and when Max arrives home and his dinner is still hot!

Do you own a copy of this wonderful book?

Miss Y πŸ™‚

3. Dear Miss Y,

So sad to hear the passing of Maurice Sendak.

I some how I feel he will live on and on for many years to come.
    I really don’t have a favourite part of the book for I feel the whole book is awesome.

BB and my husband went to see the movie when it came out and they both just loved the movie.

Take Care from,
    AA

4. Dear Miss Y,
    I have that book. I liked when they had a party.
    love Annabel.

5. Dear AA

Thank you for your comment.

I think “Where the Wild Things Are” is a true ‘classic’ and will stand the passing of time. I agree that it will be read for many years to come.

I didn’t see the movie because I love the book so much and I didn’t want to see any other interpretation of it. I can be a bit like that, if I really like a book I don’t go to see the movie! Are you the same?

Miss Y πŸ˜€

6. Dear Annabel

Thank you for popping in to leave a comment.

When I taught Grade One, a long time ago we read “Where the Wild Things Are” and actually had our very own “Wild Rumpus” (party). It was so much fun dressing up and dancing!

I wonder if we should have a “Wild Rumpus” to celebrate the National Year of Reading? What do you think?

Miss Y πŸ˜›

7. Dear Miss Y,
    I too was saddened by the passing of Maurice Sendak. Like Dr. Seuss, his books have entertained countless children.
    He designed the set in Seattle for the Pacific Northwest Ballet’s Nutcracker Suite. It is beautiful and unquestionably, Sendak.
    Your friend,
    Mrs. Hembree

8. @ Miss Y,

Thank you for writing back to me. Yes I am with you book and movies really don’t go together. It is rare that I will watch a movie with a certain book I have read.

However in saying this when I was in year 9 I had to read the book To Kill A Mocking Bird. A few years ago I happened to watch the movie, to my surprise I thought in was pretty much close to the book.
    To Kill A Mocking Bird is my all time favourite book to read. I think I have read it quite a few times. I still own my original copy from when I was in High School all those years ago. πŸ™‚

Do you have a favourite book which you love to re read over Miss Y?

Take care,
    AA

9. It was really sad to hear that Maurice had passed on. We have the movie which really inspired me to write some of my own stories. I watched the movie with my cousins and sisters and they were totally confused (and scared) but I loved the movie and the book is even better

Natasha K 5vw

10. Dear Mrs Hembree

I’m sure the sets were magnificent! It would have been a treat to see the performance of The Nutcracker

Miss Y πŸ™‚

11. Dear AA

I love “To Kill a Mockingbird” too and I agree that the movie captured the book so well. I love Gregory Peck as Atticus. Your copy of the book would be well loved!

I don’t re-read many books, but I’m always happy to read “The Magic Faraway Tree” when I get the opportunity. I still have my copy from when I was a little girl.

Miss Y πŸ˜›

12. Hi Natasha

I’d love to read some of the stories Maurice Sendak inspired you to write.

I haven’t seen the movie because I love the book. I saw the trailer of the movie and thought it might be a bit scary for young children.

Do you like to watch books that are made into movies?

Miss Y πŸ™‚

13. Hi Ms Y
    I love watching movies inspired by books, just look at the Harry Potter series. Yes the movie is a little scary for younger children like my sisters and cousins. But I loved the movie, as a matter of fact I’m spending all of tomorrow watching the Harry Potter series (even part one and part two of number seven πŸ™‚