Victorian Premiers’ Reading Challenge

The Premiers’ Reading Challenge (PRC) is held each year from March to September and our students from P- 6 are welcome to participate in the challenge.

The PRC is not a competition, but a personal challenge for students to READ, TO READ MORE and TO READ MORE WIDELY… are you up for the challenge?

Click on the link to visit The Victorian Premiers’ Reading Challenge Website 

How do I join the PRC?

Ask your parents to print and complete the Consent Form below and return it to me by Monday, May 1st.

PRC Consent Form 2017

When I receive your Consent Form I will register you and give you your username and password. Then all you need to do is READ and record your books online as you go!

Click HERE to read the PRC rules

How many books do I need to read to complete the PRC?

Prep – Year 2

30 books – EITHER 30 Challenge books OR 20 Challenge books and 10 or more Choice books 

Year 3 – 6

15 books – EITHER 15 Challenge books OR 10 Challenge books and 5 or more Choice books

Can I read as many books as I like?

You can read as many books as you like as long as you read the required number of Challenge books for your level from the PRC book lists. Try to read a variety of genres, authors and types of books (picture books, novels and non fiction) so you step out of your “reading comfort zone”!

Where do I find the PRC book lists?

You can search the book lists online HERE  OR click HERE to download the 2017 PRC book list for your year level. 

Where can I read books from?

You can read books from our school library, your local library and from your own library at home.

Where do I record my books when I’ve read them?

You can record your books in your class Reading Diary and when you have finished reading your book you can record it online on your PRC page. Please record your books online as you go along and not at the end so I can verify your books as you finish them.

This document below explains how to record your books online (and I will give you a copy when I register you).

studentguidetotheonlinesystem

When does the PRC finish?

You will need to STOP READING and have all of your books recorded online by MONDAY, AUGUST 28th so I can finalise everybody’s books.

However, if you finish your reading BEFORE this date please let me know.

What if I have a question or need some help with the PRC?

You can see Miss Y at the LRC or leave me a comment below and I will get back to you.  🙂

Happy reading!

97 thoughts on “Victorian Premiers’ Reading Challenge

1. Hi Anna

Thank you for going home and adding your books tonight. I’m just glad by doing so that you have completed the PRC and you will be recognised for your champion reading effort!

Miss Y 😀

2. Dear Miss Y,

Reading is so AWESOME!!!
    Who doesn’t like reading ?
    If they do YOU THOUGHT WRONG!

From TAZZA

3. Hi Tarrant,

Thanks for your fabulous message about reading.

I agree with you that reading is awesome! I couldn’t imagine my life with reading. What a boring life it would be…

Happy reading Tarrant

Miss Y 🙂

4. Dear Miss Y,

Hi I am reading RANGERS APPRENTICE and I am up to book two. Number one wasn’t as good as book two is being right now. I really like the Rangers Apprentice series because John Flanagan keeps me in suspense!!!

from Lachlan

5. Hi Lachlan

Thank you for leaving a comment.

It’s great to have another fan of the Ranger’s Apprentice series!

In Book 1, it was important for John Flanagan to introduce the main characters to his readers and to set the scene for the series. In Book 2 he can now develop the story more and have lots of action and adventure.

Do you have a favourite character yet Lachlan?

Happy reading!

Miss Y 🙂

6. Dear Miss Y,

I have only read up to chapter 2 so I don’t have a favourite character yet.

ps. I have been having trouble getting the p.r.c notice so I will send a note in.

from Lachlan ( 4v) happy reading!!

7. Hi Lachlan

Pop into the LRC and I’ll give you the form for the PRC.

Miss Y 🙂

8. Hi Miss Y

I am having trouble finding the tally for the books I have read and the books I am reading. Could you please help me with that?

Also your dog looks so cute with the book Fearless

from Vanessa (4eh)

9. Hi Vanessa

If you come to the LRC, I will log into your account and show you what you want to know.

I love the photo of Jambo reading “Fearless”

Miss Y 🙂

10. Hi Miss Y
    I was reading such an amazing book last night but sadly I finished it so quickly because I became so stuck to it. I really think you should get it for the LRC because I think everyone would love it just like I did. It’s called Totally Twins Musical Mayhem. I got it from the fair you had last year where you got to buy a book.
    Have a happy Easter and enjoy your holidays
    From Vanessa

11. Hi Vanessa

Don’t you love it when you enjoy a book so much you get “stuck to it” and can’t put it down! You also know it’s a good book when you don’t want it to end.

If you bring your book into the LRC when I get back I will get the details and see if I can order it for the LRC.

Have a happy Easter and enjoy your holidays too.

I wonder what you will read during your holidays?

Miss Y 🙂

12. Hi Miss Y,
    Im now reading the adventures of the wishing chair.
    I love Enid Blyton’s books I hope to read all the books she’s made.
    Bye,
    From Vanessa 😀

13. Hi Vanessa

I loved Enid Blyton’s books when I was your age and I still have some of my books! One of my favourite books by Enid Blyton is “The Magic Faraway Tree”.

Enjoy your adventures in the Wishing Chair!

Miss Y

14. Dear Miss Y,
    That is my favourite book as well. I have also finished The Wishing Chair. It’s so lovely my favourite character is Chinky because he always knows what to do.
    Enjoy your holidays and happy easter
    from Vanessa

15. Hi Miss Y,
    Just popping in on the LRC Blog and you look freezing in that photo.
    i have gotten a lot of easter eggs sitting in my room. I don’t know when I’m going to eat them all or if I’m going to eat them!
    I’ve been doing a lot of reading and loving the Wishing Chair series. I’m reading the second one now.
    I hope you had a nice easter
    From Vanessa 😀

16. Hi Vanessa

You could nibble on some of your Easter eggs while you’re reading your Wishing Chair adventures…

Miss Y 🙂

17. Dear Miss Y,

I have read three choice books but on the chart it has none. Do you know why.

From Morgan
    PS hope your having a good time 🙂

18. Hi Morgan

I’m not quite sure what might be happening. Keep a record of the books you’re reading and we can work it out when I get back.

It sounds like you have been very busy reading Morgan – well done!

Miss Y 🙂

19. Hi Miss Y

Hope you are having a fantastic time.

Matteo has finished the challenge, he is very excited to tell you himself, when he gets back!

see you soon, Karen (Matteo’s mummy PCV)

20. Hi Karen

What a fabulous effort by Matteo! (Thank you for encouraging and supporting Matteo with his reading). I’ll look forward to Matteo telling me himself. He should be so proud of his fabulous effort!

I’ll verify Matteo’s books when I get back so it’s “official”..

I’m having a wonderful time thank you and visiting many beautiful places.

Miss Y. 😀

21. Dear Miss Y,
    I want to get on my login for the PRC but I seemed to have misplaced it.
    Please you if can give me the password and username, I will come to school and get it.

Thank You

Martin

22. Hi Martin

I’ll get your PRC details to you tomorrow (Friday) because I will be away at a conference on Monday and Tuesday.

Miss Y 🙂

23. Hi Miss Yeomans
    I love reading! Last night I read up to 6 hours. My eyes burn like they’re on fire!
    Izzy

24. Hi Izzy

Great to hear from you!

I know you love reading BUT you might have over done it by reading for 6 hours! No wonder your eyes feel like they are on fire. It might be best to read in smaller blocks of time so your eyes don’t get so tired.

What books have you read over the holidays?

I hope you read lots of fabulous books in 2014 and let me know about them.

Happy reading!

Miss Y 🙂

25. Hi Miss Y,
    I have been trying to login to the premiers reading challenge and when I try to login it says, Student details could not be found. Please try again. i have try many times but it still doesn’t work.
    Please Help.
    From Olivia
    🙂

26. Hi Olivia,

I’ve had a look. If you add the number 1 to the end of your username see if that works…

Miss Y 🙂

27. Hello Miss Y
    I love reading. Mostly I like reading chapter books.
    From Holly

28. Hi Holly,

I’m glad to hear you love reading and I can see that by the books you borrow in the LRC.

I like reading chapter books too, but I think picture books are my favourite.

What chapter books that you enjoy would you recommend other students should read?

Miss Y 🙂

29. Hi Miss Y
    I was just wondering how you add all the books you
    have read on the blog for the Premiers Reading
    Challenge so sorry.
    From Lily in 3c

30. Hi Lily,

You can pop into the LRC before school any morning or see me at lunchtime this Tuesday or Friday so I can help you add your books.

See you soon…

Miss Y 🙂

31. Hi Miss Y
    I just started to wonder if we can add books on the Premiers Reading Challenge we read last the
    year before last year and so on. Thank you
    from Lily xx

32. Hi Lily,

You can only add books from the ones you read from the last school holidays, this term and next term up until August 30th.

Miss Y 🙂

33. Hi Miss Y
    Just having some trouble adding a book.The title of the book is The Missing Dancer in the ghost detective series by Emily Mason . I have finished this book and have not had time to return it yet.

34. Hi Jocelyn,

I’ve added your book as a Choice book. I’m happy to show you how to do this next time you are in the LRC.

You’re doing a fabulous job with your reading for the PRC!

Miss Y 🙂

35. Dear Miss Y,
    I love how you always do a Premiers Reading Challenge, because It`s a good challenge for everyone in the school. #ReadingIsFun

36. Thank you Riley!

I think it’s important that children who love reading can have a challenge too and be proud of their achievements just like children who participate in sport.

We’re also going to do the Yeo-low Medal this year…are you going to join in the reading fun?

#ReadingIsFun

Miss Y 🙂

37. Hi Aiden,

Yay! I’m so glad to hear you will be doing the Premiers’ Reading Challenge. 🙂 It will help you become an even better Reading Ninja!

Don’t forget to bring your permission form so I can register you.

Happy reading, Aidan!

Miss Y 🙂

38. Hi Aiden,

I’m so pleased to hear you are reading lots of book and becoming a fantastic Reading Ninja!

Are you going to record the books you have read for the PRC online soon?

Happy reading!

Miss Y 🙂

39. Hi Aiden,

Thank you for your beautiful and thoughtful message.

I will make sure I enjoy every moment of my last weeks in our wonderful library.

We will have a fun last library lesson together on Thursday…

Miss Y 💜

40. Dear Miss Y,
    It looks like you had another year of great reading, I was so sad that I missed out on all of the fabulous sessions with you. Though I missed out it never stopped from reading. I also miss the fabulous space of your library.

From Your Past Student Lily Stubbs

41. Hi Lily,

It’s so lovely to hear from you!

Yes, we had another great year of reading with the PRC, Yeo-low Medal and we had another successful Story Night to celebrate Book Week with about 400 coming along to listen to stories!

I’m happy to hear that you are still reading. What are some of the books you’ve enjoyed?

SMOT is lucky to have such a wonderful space for our much loved library.

Have a fabulous 2018, Lily…and happy reading!

Miss Y 😊📚