Meet Miss Y

25 things you might not know about Miss Y

I am a Mentor for the Student Blog Challenge and this is a page about me…

This is my avatar when I leave blog comments. I’m looking forward to getting to know the students I’m going to mentor!

I have been a teacher for 30 years and for the past 18 years I have been a teacher librarian

I live in Melbourne, Australia. My family moved here when I was 8 years old from a country town called Guyra in New South Wales

My first name is Kim-Michelle but I prefer Kim

I read in bed every night before I go to sleep

It’s too hard for me to choose a favourite book!  I still have my much loved copy of “The Magic Faraway Tree” by Enid Blyton

I LOVE chocolate and I DON’T eat peas 

I grew up with only boys in my neighbourhood and they taught me how to play AFL football and cricket 

I am a very passionate supporter of North Melbourne  in the Australian Football League (AFL)  

In 1996 I spent 5 weeks travelling in a Mac truck on a camping tour of the East coast of Africa from Kenya to Zimbabwe

I climbed Mt Kosciuszko the highest mountain in Australia in 2014, although it’s not very high at 2228 metres (7310 feet)

One day I would like to live near the beach

I love trees and often wonder about the the stories they would tell about all the things they seen over the years if they could talk

Irises are my favourite flowers

I miss my dog Jambo who was the first dog I owned.  He was a King Charles Cavalier and he loved walks and sleeping on my bed

Matter

Purple is my favourite colour

I don’t like shopping, especially for clothes

I always choose dessert first when I read a menu

I enjoy taking photos, but I don’t like being in them

I love snuggling under my doona after it has been hanging outside and is filled with sunshine

Autumn is my favourite season when the trees are dressed in autumn colours

I don’t like to watch scary movies

Sometimes I wish I was a bit taller

I enjoy using technology, especially on our LRC Blog to inspire people to read

Seeing children excited about books make my heart sing!

This is me in the middle. I was very proud to receive the Leila St John Award for services to children’s literature from the Children’s Book Council Victorian Branch in 2014.

21 thoughts on “Meet Miss Y

1. Hi Miss Yeomans

I have had the best weekend ever. I am at my cousins house what did you do?

From luca s-s

2. Hi Luca,

Great to hear you had such a good weekend. What did you do with your cousin?

I went to the North Melbourne and Hawthorn game and enjoyed seeing the players and premiership cup from our North Melbourne premiership in 1975.

3. Hello Miss Y,

I was reading your post and I agree
    with you on a lot of things except . . . supporting North Melbourne. That’s when I disagree with you. I go for the Blues! Just they are at the bottom of the ladder so they are not going very well ! ! :[

Colette : D

4. Hi Colette,

Thanks for reading this page about me!

Sadly your team Carlton seems to be having a bit of a horror year this year.

I have barracked for North Melbourne since I was 8 years old when I moved to Melbourne. Go Roos!

5. Hello Miss Y,

I loved reading the page about you.:D

Don’t worry about Carlton because they
    have not played well for some time!

My favourite season is Winter because it’s my birthday and I like to snuggle in bed with a good book!

Colette 😀

6. Hi Colette,

We have two things in common – my birthday is in winter and I like to snuggle up in bed with a good book!

When is your winter birthday?

7. Hi Emily,

All of the teachers spent the day in the LRC doing lots of learning together. It was very quiet without all of the students! I’m enjoying relaxing on my couch watching some TV tonight. I hope you enjoyed your day at home. What did you do?

Miss Y 😊

8. Hi Miss Y
    We are really lucky to have you as a teacher in the LRC. Keep up the good work because reading gives you superpowers and we all know that you have superpowers.

From Edie

9. Thank you for your lovely comment Edie 🙂

I always try my best for our LRC and the students at our school.

Reading sure does give us superpowers!

10. Hi Ms Y
    I have two things
    1. I like it when you shared your stuff you have in your heart and share it with the world.
    2. I thought we should have a subject of WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY? Like if you did reading somewhere that makes you happy like today at 7:00 pm I read when it was ad time but I watched TV a bit.
    Aaron

11. Hi Aaron,

Thank you for your lovely comment and for reading my ‘About Miss Y’ page. I hope you know a little more about me now.

I really like you idea!! I wonder if we could call it WHAT DID YOU READ TODAY? People could write about something that made them happy, sad, excited etc. We will have to have a chat about your idea in the LRC when you visit next.

12. Hi Miss Y,

I like the colour purple and so does Elena. What are you doing today?

From Jessica.T

13. Hi Jess,

It’s great to know that you and Elena like the colour purple too! Maybe we should have a ‘Purple” day when we can wear a touch of purple to school.

I’m catching up on jobs at my house that I don’t have time to do during the week and will hopefully spend some time in my garden later this afternoon. I hope you are enjoying this gorgeous sunny day…

14. Good Morning, Riley

It’s lovely to hear from you!

I had a lovely week last week with the beautiful sunny weather and got lots done in my garden, enjoyed reading some of the new books for our library and had coffee with friends. On Friday, I went to see Jeannie Baker’s stunning collage illustrations from her book Circle and then wandered around our beautiful Botanical Gardens taking photos. Yesterday and today, I’m working in our library putting more genre stickers on our Fiction books…I’m getting there!

What have you been doing over the holidays?

Looking forward to seeing you next Tuesday…

15. Hi Erica,

I love having you in the LRC and seeing what you are borrowing and hearing about what you are creating in Minecraft.

See you in the LRC tomorrow…

16. Hi Mietta,

You might not be able to be at the LRC right now, but you can visit the LRC every day at school!