The Beast of Hushing Wood by Gabrielle Wang

On Sunday afternoon I was lucky to go the book launch of The Beast of Hushing Wood by Gabrielle Wang at Readings bookshop in Hawthorn. A book launch is like a ‘Book Birthday’ when a book is officially celebrated and released into the world for people to read. This is Gabrielle’s seventeenth book!

To celebrate, Gabrielle had cupcakes with toppers that were mini works of art using the stunning illustrations from her book. They were too beautiful to eat…almost!
(Click to enlarge the photos)

Family, friends and fellow authors were invited to the book launch and it was wonderful to see three generations together with Gabrielle’s mum and daughter by her side.

Fellow author Cath Crowley interviewed Gabrielle about her book and then we were treated to Gabrielle reading some of her story which left us wanting more! I lined up to have our book signed and Gabrielle wrote an important message for her readers…

‘Why fit in when you can stand out’

I follow Gabrielle on Twitter and Instagram and have enjoyed watching her create The Beast of Hushing Wood as she shared her ideas, illustrations and progress. Gabrielle actually contacted schools via Twitter in February 2016 to ask students which name she should give her main character which you can read about HEREGabrielle shared photos of Morocco and the Berkshire Woods in Massachusetts, USA on Twitter and after reading her book I can see how her visit to Morocco in North Africa influenced the magic realism in her story and spending time in the woods was very important in helping her create the setting of Hushing Wood and the town of Dell Hollow.

I couldn’t wait to read The Beast of Hushing Wood and sat under my tree in the sunshine lost for the afternoon in Hushing Wood with the brave and adventurous Ziggy Truegood. I think it might be my favourite book of Gabrielle’s so far! 

Ziggy Truegood lives in a tiny town deep in Hushing Wood, where strange things are happening. The townspeople are fighting, Ziggy feels like something is hunting her, and her beloved woods have become dark and hostile. When exotic Raffi and his grandfather arrive in town, Ziggy finds herself strangely drawn to them. But are they there to save Ziggy, or are they the hunters? 

The Beast of Hushing Wood is a story filled with mystery, adventure and magic beautifully woven together with Gabrielle’s exquisite way with words and her delicately detailed illustrations…

8 thoughts on “The Beast of Hushing Wood by Gabrielle Wang

1. How wonderful to be able to enjoy sunshine and a beautiful book. I agree it is very special to see the three generations together and supporting Gabrielle. I look forward to reading and sharing the book soon. I hope your students enjoy the trip into Hushing Woods with Ziggy and they take to heart Gabrielle’s wise words and make their individual marks in the world 💝

2. Hi Mrs B,

I know you will enjoy sharing Ziggy’s adventures in Hushing Wood with the students in your library too! We are very lucky to have such talented children’s authors like Gabrielle and many others here in Australia.

Happy reading…

Miss Y 🙂

3. Hi Miss Y,
    Just looking at those cupcakes makes my tummy growl. It looks so pretty.
    From Lucia.
    P.S. I could just eat the pic!

4. Hi Lucia,

Oops, sorry to make your tummy growl! The cupcakes were a feast for everyone’s eyes and tummies. I actually took mine home carefully in the cup holder in my car and and had it with a coffee…it was as delicious as it looked!

I know you and Alessandra will both love reading ‘The Beast of Hushing Wood’ so watch out for it in the New Books when we go back to school.

Hope you’re enjoying your holiday…

Miss Y 🙂

5. What a lovely post! Thank you for sharing the highlights of my book launch with your students. I hope everyone enjoys The Beast of Hushing Wood.

Love
    Gabrielle, Ziggy, Mystic and the Beast. Xx

6. Thank you, Gabrielle!

I’m really looking forward to sharing The Beast of Hushing Wood with our students…I know they will love meeting Ziggy, Mystic and the Beast and reading their story.

Happy writing and illustrating…

Miss Y 🙂

7. Hi Miss Y,
    You are very lucky to have a cupcake with a coffee. I’m sure we will both like the book because we both like any good books.
    From Lucia

8. Hi Lucia,

You are wonderful bookworms!

Have you both read our library copy of Lion over the holidays?

Happy Easter to you and your family, Lucia!

Miss Y 🙂