A Sleepover and a Bedtime Story

Last Thursday it was the Year 4 Sleepover in the GECCO, our hall at school. After a fabulous day doing a tour of the MCG, playing games outside after school on Bottom Yard and a feast of pizza for dinner, it was time for the Year 4s to put on their PJs and visit the LRC for a Bedtime Story.

The scene was set in our library with only the lights above the Borrowing Desk glowing gently. The LRC had a very different feel from daytime and in the darkness it felt cosy and slightly magical. I half expected to see our Captain Underpants flying around the LRC or Hugless Douglas climbing down from his spot on the shelf in search of a hug!

The students voted on the story for me to read called ‘Scab’ from ‘My Life and Other Stuff I Made Up’ by Tristan Bancks. The title alone made it a popular choice. It was fun reading to the Year 4s who snuggled up with their friends and shared lots of laughs and groans throughout the story. Somehow I don’t think the Year 4s will think of scabs in quite the same way again and thanks to Tom Weekly, they will definitely think twice before pretending to be sick to avoid getting out of something at school just in case they end up having their appendix removed…

Thank you Year 4 for allowing me to read you a Bedtime Story!

12 thoughts on “A Sleepover and a Bedtime Story

1. Thanks you Miss Y for reading the story to Yr 4 students and teachers. You made the story come alive with your expression. Everyone was listening attentively. It was a great scene having all Yr 4 students in their pjs in the LRC. You’re right the LRC feels different at night. It feels like all the stories are alive and waiting to share the special characters within each page.

Mrs S

2. Oh what fun! I don’t know the book … but my imagination is working overtime as to its content! 🙂
    Mrs H xo

3. Hi Mrs S,

I agree with you described the LRC at night… “It feels like all the stories are alive and waiting to share the special characters within each page.”

The Yr 1s and I like to think that the book characters come alive at night in the LRC…

I’d love to do some more Bedtime Stories in our LRC with other classes.

Miss Y 🙂

4. Hi Mrs H,

It was so much fun reading to the Yr 4s in the LRC at night!

I’ve just put a link to Tristan Bancks’ fabulous website in the blog post. You have to get the three books in his My Life series – your students will love them! We loved the story “My Nan’s Tougher” which is also in the book I read on Thursday night.

Miss Y 🙂

5. Thanks for the link Miss Y … I’ll check them out.
    ‘My Nan’s Tougher’ sounds like a pretty cool story … I wonder if she’s as tough as THIS Nanna or if I’ll learn a few things from her! hehe 🙂

Mrs H xo

6. Hi Mrs H,

I don’t know if you would like to tangle with the two Nanas in this story…

I’m looking forward to what you have to say when you’ve read it!

Have a great week!

Miss Y 🙂

7. That sounds wonderful. The kids will have that as a treasured memory from their school days forever.

8. Hi Emily,

I’m well thank you and can’t believe we are nearly at the end of Term Two!

Have you done your borrowing from the LRC for the holidays?

Miss Y 🙂

9. Hi Jackie,

The library is so ‘magical’ at night and it’s great for the kids to experience it…

Miss Y 🙂

10. Dear Miss Y,
    What a fun night that was for us. That story ‘Scab’ was really disgusting. I can’t wait to read the Vegemite one in “My life and other stuff I made up”. Lucky none of us got knocked out by Captain Underpants in the LRC.
    from Laura S

11. Hi Laura,

Thanks for leaving a comment…

Yes, it was a fun night! I agree about Captain Underpants, but it would have been lovely to get a warm hug from Hugless Douglas.

I actually read ‘Toe’ to 4W last week and it was equally gross and funny and they loved it!. I’ve bought extra copies of Tristan Bancks’s books so we now have two copies of each of his ‘My Life’ books.

Happy reading!

Miss Y 🙂