The Little Free Library @ Macleod

Have you seen the Little Free Library that is shaped like a space rocket at the park opposite the Macleod shopping centre? Isabella in 6Z and Mia in 3JC at our school help to look after the library on behalf of the Macleod shopkeepers and they are doing a great job!

Front view

Back view

The Little Free Library is a box full of books where anyone can stop and pick up a book to read. When you finish reading the book you can return it for others to read or donate one of your own books. You don’t need to be a member or even need a library card!  The idea is to “Take a book, return a book”

Little Free Library Story from Beargrass Media on Vimeo.

The Little Free Libraries first began in Wisconsin in the USA in 2009 and there are now more than 25,000 Little Free Libraries around the world. The libraries can be in public spaces or in people’s front yards (You might like to put one in your family’s front yard!).  

Take a look at the Little Free Libraries website HERE and photos of Little Free Libraries HERE 

I wonder if we might be able to set up a Little Free Library at the front of our school…what do you think? Leave your suggestions or ideas in the comment section…

12 thoughts on “The Little Free Library @ Macleod

1. I think a little free library at school would be terrific….maybe we could include books for the mums, dads, teachers, to swap too 🙂

2. Hi Jo,

Thanks for your great suggestion!

We have been discussing what type of books we could have and how that would affect the design of our library. The Year 6s were discussing if we should have one library with shelves for different types of books or more than one library. Books for parents were definitely mentioned.

It’s exciting to have lots of interest, discussion and sharing of ideas about Free Little Libraries in LRC classes at the moment…

3. Hi Miss Y,

I think that our little free library should be a big book and each level should be a chapter.📒😄

4. Hi Miss Y
    I’ve been to the the little free library and read some books!
    I thing we should put one at the front of our school
    From lily 🙂

5. Hi Lily,

It’s great to hear you have read some books from The Little Free Library.

Did you read the books at the playground or take them home to read?

6. Hi Makayla,

You might be right!

I think we will have lots of books to put in our Little Free Library. We might need a few shelves inside for the books.

7. Hi Miss Y,
    I think our free library should be like the 13 storey tree house where every storey has a new age group.

8. Hi Erin,

I love your idea of a 13-storey Little Free Library, but I’m a little worried we might have to build a ENORMOUS Free Library to fit all of the levels in!

Could we paint our own version of The 13-storey treehouse on the outside instead?

Thank you for your idea!

9. My dream for a Little Free Library would be of a kind of tardis – police box on the outside, but inside a BIG library.

10. Hi Susan,

Thank you for visiting our LRC Blog and leaving a comment.

We were looking at photos of Little Free Libraries online and we saw a few made like a tardis. I agree that it would be the perfect Little Free Library to meet our needs!