A fun day at the Children’s Book Festival 2015

Melbourne turned on a magnificent sunny day for this year’s Children’s Book Festival

It was wonderful seeing so many families on the lawns of the State Library basking in the sunshine enjoying live entertainment or reading books that were provided.  Inside the library it was buzzing with children wearing monster horns dragging their mums and dads to activities (past students trying hard to study!). There were book signings with lines of eager readers; Meet the Author and Illustrator sessions; drawing and writing workshops with the experts; a chance to make and publish your own book; time to chill in red comfy bean bags and listen to stories or you could get creative making your own “Oddity” for a collaborative giant book.

One of my favourite parts of the day was walking into the beautiful domed La Trobe Reading Room where the Jazz band was playing and lots of children were having fun participating in the creative activities set up for them. This space is usually SILENT but today music and the sound of children laughing were bouncing off the walls and it was magical!

If you click HERE and scroll through the photos from the Wheeler Centre you will see two lucky people from our school who met Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton!

I was surprised when I came across author Tristan Bancks sitting on a bench in front of the library! We had a great chat about books and writing and Tristan kindly signed three books I had hoped to get signed for our library. The Year Fours love his hilarious story “My Nan’s Tougher”.  I really enjoyed his Meet the Author session and the audience laughed a lot. Tristan is a great storyteller and I discovered that he sometimes likes to do his writing when walking along the beach…can you work out how?

A big thank you to the Wheeler Centre and the State Library of Victoria for a fabulous day of celebrating books and reading! 

What did you enjoy at the Children’s Book Festival?