Merry Christmas from the Lego Christmas tree!

When I was in Sydney a few weeks ago it was a lovely surprise to discover the Lego Christmas tree in the Pitt Street Mall. It is the tallest Lego Christmas tree in the Southern hemisphere…I felt smaller than usual in front of it!

The Lego Christmas tree is 10 metres tall (taller than an average two-storey house and wider than a car) and comes complete with Santa and his surfboard for our Australian Christmas! 

It weighs 3.5 tons, and is built from over half a million bricks using a combination of Lego and Duplo.  

A team of five people built the tree in about 1,200 hours. (Lots of patience and team work!)

There is a reindeer designed by 10-year-old Lego Club member Luke Francis, who entered and won a competition to have his creation on display.

Watch these videos of the Lego Christmas tree being constructed. They might inspire you to get creative with your Lego over the holidays.You might like to take some photos and email them to me at smotlrc@gmail.com and I will post them on our blog!

Happy Christmas to everyone at St Martin’s!

See you in the LRC in 2015…

12 thoughts on “Merry Christmas from the Lego Christmas tree!

1. Oh wow … that’s one impressive tree!

… and you’re returning in 2015? Looking forward to catching up.

Mrs H xo

2. Lovely to hear from you Mrs H!

It certainly is a very impressive tree! There were lots of people having their photos with it on the day. I really liked Santa with his surfboard to add an Aussie flavour.

Looking forward to catching up online and hopefully in person in 2015.

Happy Christmas to you and yours!

3. That is some huge, intricate tree. Hope you’re well rested after your long break. I’ve had one term of LSL and it’s been very relaxing. Have a wonderful Christmas. 🙂

4. Lovely to hear from you Karen!

It was fascinating to look at the various pieces to see how they were constructed and the numerous Lego pieces used!

Great to hear you too have taken some time to relax and recharge. Wishing Christmas peace and joy to you and your family.

Hope we meet at something TL related in 2015…

Kim 🙂

5. Hi Miss Y,
    Wow, that’s a HUGE tree!! It would’ve been cool to stand next to something as big as that.
    Good luck on teaching next year,
    Eleanor J

6. Hi Eleanor,

It was cool! The tree and all the other Christmas pieces filled the Pitt Street Mall with a lovely spirit of Christmas.

I really enjoyed catching up with you and Olivia and your mum at Grade 6 Graduation. I hope you will stay in touch and let me know how you’re doing in Year 7 (It will be fabulously!)

Have a wonderful Christmas with your family! Good luck next year…

7. Lego crosses all barriers, age, race and gender. Such creative pastime.
    I’m sure everyone was in awe of the Christmas tree in Sydney.
    Mrs S

8. Hi Mrs S

You’re definitely right about Lego! I’m hoping we can buy some for the LRC this year for students to do some creating of their own at lunchtime.

9. Hi Miss Y,
    It’s amazing to see a lego Christmas Tree. That’s probably the first and last I’ll ever see. Can’t wait to see you!!
    Daisy 🙂 😛 😛 😀 😀 🙂

10. Hi Daisy,

The Lego Christmas tree was huge! I really like the Aussie Santa. I was really pleased when I found the videos of how the tree was constructed as I wondered how it was put together and how long it took.

Only two more sleeps until you officially begin your year in 5DV….

Ms Y 🙂

11. Hi Ms Y,
    Welcome back! I can not believe how huge that Lego Christmas tree was. The fact that it lights up is amazing.

Laura

12. Hi Laura,

Thank you! I enjoyed catching up with 4G in the LRC this afternoon.

I felt very small next to the Lego Christmas tree and was amazed by its size. I would have liked to have seen it all lit up at night as it would have been very impressive!

Ms Y 🙂