Possum Magic’s 30th Anniversary

“Once upon a time, but not very long ago, deep in the Australian bush, there lived two possums. Their names were Hush and Grandma Poss. Grandma Poss made bush magic…”

Did you know that Possum Magic was written by Mem Fox and illustrated by Julie Vivas 30 years ago?

Click to enlarge

Mrs Collins drew this picture for Possum Magic’s 25th anniversary when we were in our old LRC.  It’s lovely to put it up again five years later in our new LRC to celebrate the best known picture book in Australia and the best selling picture book ever in this country.  Hush and Grandma Poss are much loved characters and part of the childhood of many Australian children. Lots of students at our school have their own much loved copy of Possum Magic.

Did you know….

Mem Fox wrote Possum Magic for an assignment and it was originally called “Hush the Invisible Mouse”Possum Magic was rejected 9 times before a publisher agreed to publish it…thank goodness they did!  You can find out more information about Possum Magic by clicking HERE as well as recipes for Lamingtons, Anzac Biscuits and Pavlova!

Enjoy watching and listening to Mem Fox read Possum Magic…

What is your favourite part of Possum Magic?

5 thoughts on “Possum Magic’s 30th Anniversary

1. Miss Y

I’m glad that Mem Fox persisted with the publisher to get Possum Magic published.

My favourite part is ” The look of misery on Grandma’s face when she has her head bent over on a pile of books. It shows how much Grandma cared for Poss.” Julie Vivas is a fabulous illustrator.

Mrs S

2. Oh … Miss Y … I LOVE Possum Magic. It’s one of my favourite books.

I must have bought one of the first books published – for my children 30 years ago! (yes, I’m THAT old :-))

Possum Magic is still one of the most popular books in our Library – I’ll have to tell all my children about the 30th Anniversary.

Mrs H xo

(and Mrs Collins’ drawing is fabulous!)

3. Hi Mrs Stewart

It would have been so easy for Mem Fox to give up after one rejection, let alone nine of them!

I also love Julie Vivas’ illustrations. I think water colour is one of my favourite mediums for illustrations.

The picture Mrs Collins has done is my favourite part of the story when Grandma Poss weaves her bush magic and Hush slowly disappears!

4. Hi Mrs H

I hope you still have that copy you bought all those years ago for your children!! Have you bought a copy for Elsie yet? If not, maybe you could buy her a 30th Anniversary edition!

(You’re a “spring chicken” you know!)

Have a wonderful holiday…

5. Hi Miss Y

I’ve just ordered Elsie a 30th Anniversary edition – I can’t wait to see it.

As for me being a ‘spring chicken’ – more like an ‘old boiler’! 😛

Mrs H xo