Commander Chris Hadfield @ the International Space Station

Over the school holidays I started following Commander Chris Hadfield on Twitter (@Cmdr_Hadfield).  He is a Canadian astronaut currently living at the International Space Station for the next five months.  Each day I look forward to viewing the photos of places on Earth that Commander Hadfield takes from space.  The photos are breathtaking and you see the beauty of our planet Earth in a totally unique way. On January 29th, Commander Hadfield took this photo of the flood near Bundaberg.  It is an amazing “bird’s eye” view of the extent of the flood! 

You can see more of Commander Hadfield’s amazing photos of Earth from space HERE.

Commander Hadfield has also been talking to students from the International Space Station. How amazing is technology to allow students to ask their questions directly to an astronaut in space!!  Today he answered questions from Grade 5/6 students in Ottawa, Canada.

Commander Hadfield demonstrated how astronauts wash their hands in space...

This is a longer video (24 minutes) of Commander Hadfield answering the students’ questions in both English and French

What question would you ask Commander Hadfield?

Commander Hadfield and Ed Robertson collaborated to write the song “Is Somebody Singing” and thanks to technology they sang that song together on February, 8th with Commander Hadfield playing and singing from the International Space Station…what an amazing combination of music, science and technology!!

8 thoughts on “Commander Chris Hadfield @ the International Space Station

1. Hi Mrs H

Welcome back! Hope you’ve had a great start to the year.

I am totally in awe of Commander Hadfield’s photos from space – simply beautiful! I was also fascinated watching the videos above. I think Commander Hadfield will single-handedly inspire a whole new generation of astronauts!

Miss Y 🙂

2. Hi Jamii

Happy 2013 to you too! I hope you had a great first day at school. I’m looking forward to seeing you in the LRC very soon…

Do you have a question you would like to ask Commander Hadfield?

Miss Y 🙂

3. Thanks Miss Y for the video of Commander Hadfield washing his hands. Amazing!!!
    I wonder how he sleeps in space.
    Mrs S

4. Hi Ted

Well done asking how to find the videos on our blog in the LRC yesterday and finding them tonight!

Each day I check Twitter and look at the photos and videos Chris Hadfield shares. I am fascinated and I’m learning so much about life in space!

Miss Y 🙂