Horrible Harriet’s Inheritance by Leigh Hobbs

At long last we have another adventure for Horrible Harriet!  This time Harriet has her very own novel called Horrible Harriet’s Inheritance.

Not for the squeamish, nor for the weak.
You’ll not find it here, if  a fairy story you seek.

Horrible Harriet needs to find the names of any royal ancestors in her family tree so she can claim her royal inheritance.  A mysterious chest with the initials H.R.H.H.H arrives on her doorstep.   Inside its dusty darkness Harriet discovers photos of some rather unusual royal ancestors including  Queen Harrietabanana,  Harrizabethe the Fourth, Queen Numee Poowah, Victorious Valerie the Viking Invader and even Dracularriet.  It’s amazing how much Harriet looks like her ancestors!

Leigh Hobbs has had lots of fun drawing Harriet’s ancestors and Harriet herself has had a ball writing her own book, complete with some of her very own poetry.  If you are a fan of Leigh Hobbs then YOU are going to have lots of fun reading this book!

9 thoughts on “Horrible Harriet’s Inheritance by Leigh Hobbs

1. Dear Miss Y,

Wow I just want to read this book for the title is just awesome.

For, I just love the fact that Horrible Harriet is looking for her ancestors, now what an adventure that would be don’t you think Miss Y.

Will make it a point of looking out for this at our local library.

Happy reading Miss Y and your students.

From AA. 🙂

2. Dear Miss Y,
    These Horrible Harriet stories sound like they are very funny! I love a good mystery story and if it’s funny too, then so much the better!

I haven’t seen this series here, although we have Horrible Harry.

Did you do lots of reading during your holiday? I have been reading some mystery books. They are my favorite genre. What is your favorite genre of books to read Miss Y?

Keep Reading!
    Mrs. Hembree

3. Hi all ,

I really enjoy Leigh Hobbs books. I can’t believe he did another good book. He is so good.

4. Dear AA

We are big fans of Leigh Hobbs at our school. Horrible Harriet certainly gets some surprises as she finds out about her ancestors. Leigh Hobbs has a wicked sense of humour!

Your local library should have this book. I’m sure you and BB would enjoy it! You will find the other Horrible Harriet books in the Picture Book section.

Happy reading!

5. Hi Mrs Hembree

It’s lovely to hear from you! I hope you are relaxing and enjoying your summer break.

Leigh Hobbs is one of our favourite author/illustrators. We love his characters – Old Tom, Horrible Harriet, Mr Chicken and Fiona the Pig. In fact I have a signed copy of an Old Tom picture in my study! Your students would really enjoy Leigh Hobbs’ picture books.

Horrible Harriet’s Inheritance is a good mystery and it is filled with Leigh Hobbs’ wicked sense of humour both in the text and the illustrations.

I read some books from the adult section of my local library during my holidays as I had reserved them a while ago. I really enjoy mystery stories in my adult reading and try not to read the end of the book before I should! When I read books from our school library I really enjoy reading all genres especially when it’s a well written story. (I’m not really a fan of very scary stories though!)

What are the popular mystery books in your library? Do you have a favourite mystery series or author you could recommend?

Happy reading!

6. Hi Martin

It sounds like you’re a Leigh Hobbs fan like me!

Which is your favourite book by Leigh Hobbs? I really like “Old Tom’s Holiday” – he was so sneaky in that story!

7. Dear Miss Y,
    How funny that you asked me about mystery books, and I just wrote a comment about loving mystery stories.
    Some of the popular ones are Nate the Great, Cam Jansen, etc. I think adventure series are more popular now in my library.
    I like most genres, although my students know that fantasy isn’t my favorite genre. I do like really good science fiction like the books by Margaret Haddix. Have you ever read any of them?

Happy reading! I have to go decide which book to start today.
    Mrs. Hembree

8. Hi Mrs Hembree

I haven’t read any of Margaret Haddix’s books. Which ones would you recommend I read?

Adventure stories are popular in our LRC too. We also like fantasy/adventure books by Australian authors like Emily Rodda and John Flanagan.

I wonder which book you decided to read…

9. Hi Miss Y

My favorite Leigh Hobbs books are the Old Tom books. I can’t decide!

Martin