How to draw Old Tom

The Grade Ones have been enjoying reading the Old Tom books written and illustrated by Leigh Hobbs. We have read Old Tom, Old Tom’s Holiday, Old Tom – Man of Mystery and Old Tom’s Big Book of Beauty.

We watched this video of How to draw Old Tom with Leigh Hobbs. We watched the video again and Miss Yeomans paused it so we could draw Old Tom step by step by following Leigh’s instructions.

You can see our fantastic drawings of Old Tom in the slideshows…

(Go to the menu and select “full screen if you want the drawings to be bigger!)

11 thoughts on “How to draw Old Tom

1. Dear Miss Y
    I am in New Zealand, sitting in my sisters living room and I thought I would give the blog a try and it worked!! I would love to see how to draw old Tom.
    I hope the school is going great. Is currently 5 degrees but soon turn in to – 3.
    Keep reading
    Katherine

2. Dear Miss Yeomans

I love the stories that you read to the Grade Ones. I enjoy how you read the stories. I hope to hear more very soon, so I can learn more about books such as Old Tom.

From Hannah 1E

3. Hi Katherine

The Grade Ones had a great time drawing their Old Tom pictures today with Leigh Hobbs drawing Old Tom on the video. I’ll put some of their pictures on the blog shortly.

See you when you return!

4. Hi Hannah

Old Tom is one of my very favourite book characters. I have a big picture of him in my study at home!

I love reading books to the Grade Ones, especially Old Tom books because they are fun to read out loud.

You did a great job drawing Old Tom with Leigh Hobbs today. I hope you had fun!

Miss Yeomans 🙂

5. Hi Year Ones and Miss Y,
    I loved watching your Old Tom pictures in the slideshows. They REALLY looked like Old Tom himself.
    I remember reading the Old Tom stories to my children when they were younger. They used to like drawing Old Tom too!
    From Ms. Tieppo

6. Dear Miss Y,

I really liked how you did a very good picture of Old Tom because you did a very good spiral eye. It was very, very circly!!

Love Blake

7. Hi Blake

It’s great to hear from you! Have you shown your fabulous Old Tom picture to mum and dad?

I like drawing Old Tom’s spiral eye but I find it tricky getting his tail to look just right.

It was lots of fun looking at all of the Grade One drawings of Old Tom today in the LRC -you are all very clever!

8. Dear Miss Yeomans,

Thank you for putting our Old Tom pictures on the LRC Blog, we had lots of fun looking at all the Old Toms.
    I am looking forward to the next book.

Thank you from Monique.

9. Hi Monique

It’s my pleasure to put all of the Old Tom drawings on the LRC Blog – it’s a great way to show the Grade Ones’ fabulous work!

Thank you for your comment. See you in the LRC!

Miss Yeomans 🙂

10. Dear Miss Y,

I love reading Old Tom books I wish to borrow Old Tom Goes To Mars, I have not read them all yet and I wish to borrow Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

From Hannah 1E