Home again!

I wasn’t quite sure how I would feel as I walked up to the LRC on January 6th with my key in my hand.  However, I didn’t need to worry…the friendly alien was still there and greeted me with a big smile saying “Take me to your readers”. As I walked through the LRC door I was met by the familiar scent of our library and as I looked around everything seemed in its place just as as it was twelve months ago as though I had never been away…I took a deep breath, smiled and knew I was home!

I would like to say a HUGE thank you to Mrs Philp who did the most wonderful job keeping the LRC running smoothly, buying books, inspiring students with her lessons, resourcing classroom teachers, organising Book Week, running the Book Fair, hosting author visits and ensuring the LRC was still “The place to be”.  I hope one day she will become a teacher librarian because we need teachers with her passion and skills in our school libraries.

In case you were wondering what I was up to in 2014.  I had a wonderful Gap Year that took me to NSW, ACT and WA with adventures and fun along the way as well as time to stop and relax and read!  These are a few of my (many) photos…

28 thoughts on “Home again!

1. It’s great to have you back! This year will be my turn to take a Gap Year of sorts. I’ll be enjoying mummy time with my newborn son, Oskar.

Cannot wait to see all the fun this year in your library and looking forward to starting our own skype bookclub this year!

Kindest Regards,
    Jasmine Shannon

2. Helloooo, welcome back Miss Y!
    Yes, Mrs Philp did a wonderful job … we have been so very lucky.
    We look forward to seeing you about!

3. Hi Jasmine,

You will have a wonderful year spending time with Oskar!

I really enjoyed reading to your class last year via Skype and I’m looking forward to you reading to us this year with our Skype Book Club! I was thinking I might organise a regular lunchtime to do this as it’s a bit tricky with 45 min classes. I’m sure we’ll work it out!

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Kim 🙂

4. Hi Miss Yeomans we have not seen each other for a year. I hope this year you sell the 62 storey treehouse at the book fair.

5. Thank you Chloe!

I’m very lucky Mrs Philp did such a wonderful job!

I’m looking forward to seeing you! I hope you haven’t grown too much and you’re not taller than me…

Ms Y 🙂

6. Thanks Marisa!

Mrs Philp has been brilliant!

Looking forward to seeing you around too…

Ms Y 🙂

7. Hi Nathan,

I’m sure you are definitely taller than me now! Can you believe you will be in Year 5 this year?

I will definitely be selling Andy’s next treehouse book if we have a Book Fair this year.

Ms Y 🙂

8. Hi Miss Yeomans,
    Welcome back glad to hear you had a great holiday. Mrs Philp did a great job and we learnt a lot. Looking forward to hearing your stories when we return from our holidays.
    Love Ty and Indiana K

9. Hi Ty and Indiana

Thank you!

I’m so pleased you had such a wonderful year with Mrs Philp because she really enjoyed being in the LRC.

I’m looking forward to hearing everyone’s stories when we all get back to school – we have lots of catching up to do!

Ms Y 🙂

10. Welcome back Ms Y!

I’ve missed you … THIS year we MUST do some fun things together.

Mrs H xo

11. Aww…thanks Mrs H!

Yes, we’ll definitely have to look at our programs and work out some ways our libraries can get together for some book fun!

Have a fabulous 2015…

Ms Y 🙂

12. Hi Miss Y,
    I am soo happy that you are home again. 2014 has been an incredible year for all of us and I have read so many books! Some of my favourites have been The Hobbit, Wonder, Once, Then and After(haven’t read the 4th one yet!), Little House On The Prairie (I Went as Laura for the book fair!) and, finally, my new favourite book series, The School For Good And Evil!!! I’m so excited about the 3rd book and the movie!! I loved the 1st and 2nd book so much, I even enrolled in Soman’s online school! Go Evers!!(I got into good school!) I am hoping 2015 will be even better.
    From Ella R😃

13. Hi Ella,

It’s wonderful to hear from you and that 2014 was such a great year for you! It certainly sounds like it was your best reading year so far!! I still have my box set of The Little House on the Prairie books from when I was about your age.

While I’ve been working in the LRC, I ‘ve been discovering lots of new books that Mrs P added and I think my pile of books to read will be a mountain soon!

I’m looking forward to catching up with your news and talking about books. I’m sure 2015 is going to be a fabulous year for you Ella…

See you soon!

Ms Y 🙂

14. Welcome back Miss Y!!!!
    Thankyou for sharing your 2014 gap year with us. Many of the places that you visited throughout the year are places that we too have been to relax, enjoy and explore.
    Keep smiling 🙂

Hi Miss Y, I have missed you so much, now I cant wait till library. When its the start of school I guarantee you there will be a very warm welcome from your fellow students. Love From Daisy G

Hi Miss Y, I am very excited that you are coming back to the LRC! I can’t wait till the start of school. I have some new books to request for the library that students will love. Can’t wait to see you.
    Love From Jasmine G 6P 😀

15. Hi Mrs G,
    You were so clever to take your family travelling around our beautiful country, Australia! I’m sure I’ll continue to explore! I hope you’ve had a fun and relaxing holiday. It will be wonderful to work with you and 1GC… Ms Y 🙂

Hi Daisy,
    I’m very much looking forward to seeing everyone when school returns. We’ll all have lots to catch up on and a great year ahead in the LRC (and I have a feeling I might be shorter than lots of people!) See you soon…Ms Y 🙂

Hi Jasmine,
    You have an exciting year ahead in Grade 6! I’m really looking forward to working with the Year 6s in the LRC this year. Definitely bring in your book requests! See you soon….Ms Y 🙂

16. Hi Miss Y,
    So impressed with everything you have managed to do in your gap year. You will definitely miss those beautiful cakes and catch ups at your local cafe but we welcome you back to help us keep enjoying our books in our beautiful library.
    See you soon,
    Ms.Tieppo

17. Hi Ms Tieppo,

I think it might be best that my ‘sweet tooth’ has a rest for a while after my Gap Year! I’m going to have lots of books to catch up on reading when I return. I’m looking forward to a year of fabulous books and learning in the LRC and working with you again.

See you soon…

Ms Y 🙂

18. Dear Miss Y,

Thank you for sharing your adventures. I am so glad to see you back in the LRC but more importantly with your SMOT fam!

Some beautiful photos taken and that means many new and special memories made!

Look forward to seeing you soon!

Miss Chiodi

19. Hi Miss Chiodi,

Definitely lots of photos and precious memories from my Gap Year.

You’re right, I am looking forward to returning to my SMOT family!

See you and 3C soon….

Ms Y 🙂

20. Thanks Miss Y for sharing your photos of your Gap Year. It was a fabulous opportunity to stop and explore our wonderful country. Now you have so many visual images you can draw on when life gets busy and you get caught up in the everyday things like washing and cleaning.
    I hope you still make time to find new cafes and visit new places.
    Perhaps you need to start a new list of things you want to achieve. Keep on reaching for the stars and following your dreams so that you can inspire all of us to follow our dreams too.
    St Martin’s is blessed to have a fabulous LRC with the best team of teachers willing to keep the library functioning. It’s great news to know that you feel like you are back home with us.
    Mrs S.

21. Dear Miss Y,

Welcome back it so wonderful to read all these wonderful comments. It just shows just how much you were missed by young and old friends.

I can’t believe just how fast your Gap Year has gone.
    Never mind this will be another year for you, one that I know will be so exciting.

All the very best Miss Y and GREAT to have you back.

Lot of fun reading along the way too. Speaking of reading I just finished reading ‘The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas’. I was so overwhelmed reading this book with so much heartache that even now if I think about it I think I will begin to cry. I was planning to see the movie but after reading this book I really couldn’t bring myself to it. Makes you think have we really come far in the human race.

Now enjoy being back and hopefully I will re visit your blog soon.

From your friend,

AA 🙂

22. Hi AA,

It’s lovely to hear from you and thank you for your warm welcome!

After being back at school last week, I’m feeling like I’ve never left! I’m really looking forward to seeing all of our students in the LRC this week.

I too found ‘The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas’ a very emotional read and decided not to buy it for our school so students could read it when they were a little older. When I visited Auschwitz in 2013 and I followed the path taken by so many Jews walking along the railway tracks to Birkenau I wondered how far we have come as a human race and think we still have a long way to go.

I hope BB settles in well and has a wonderful year at secondary school. I’m sure she is looking forward to new experiences and challenges!

Take care BB,

Ms Y

23. Hi Mrs Y,
    lovely to meet you yesterday and spend some time in the LRC with you and my family!
    Your slideshow of your gap year looks amazing! You experienced some incredible sights and activities! Climbing Sydney Harbor Bridge listening to some opera – what a highlight!
    Definitely going to show my boys the videos about the lego Christmas tree, they will love that! I wonder what they will create with that inspiration!
    looking forward to sharing your blog with my boys regularly.
    thanks Melissa

24. Hi Melissa,

Thank you for leaving a comment.

It was lovely to meet you and your family yesterday and to know not everyone barracks for Collingwood!

I don’t think I’ll ever forget that moment on the Sydney Harbour Bridge listening to the opera…I had goosebumps!

We have lots of students who love Lego at school and I was hoping I might be able to source some Lego so we can use it to do some creative construction when the LRC is open at lunchtime.

Keep an eye on our LRC blog and you will know what we are doing in the LRC as well as lots of other great ‘bookish’ information…